It’s a fun food idea for sure: WALKING TACOS! If you are tired of the same old hot dogs and burgers at the campsite, keep reading. Let’s dive in to the scrumptious world of Walking Tacos. Trust me; this is the game-changing meal that’ll have everyone in your camping squad drooling.
Walking Tacos Are the Perfect Camping Meal
If you’re scratching your head wondering, “What in the wilderness is a Walking Taco?” let me break it down for you. Imagine the magic of a taco – the zesty taco meat and all those mouth-watering toppings – but in a grab-and-go style. We’re talking taco deliciousness dumped straight into a snack-size bag of Doritos nacho chips or Frito Lay corn chips. It’s a taco you can eat with a fork while you wander around the campsite, take in nature, or cheer for your pals during those riveting camp games. It’s basically a potluck in a bag!
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Walking Taco:
- Taco Meat: Consider pre-cooking your taco meat at home and packing it in a resealable bag. When you’re ready to chow down, all you need to do is heat it up on a skillet or in a crock pot. Voila!
- Toppings Galore: Pre-chop your veggies, like onions and tomatoes, and keep them in separate containers. Bring them to the campsite in your RV fridge or in a cooler with ice. This will make assembly a breeze.
Feeding the Masses:
Walking Tacos are the unsung hero when you’re feeding a crowd. Make up a big batch of taco meat, lay out a toppings bar, and watch people’s eyes light up. It’s a potluck star that’ll have your fellow campers singing your praises. (If you’re looking for more meal ideas, make sure you check out our round up of delicious campground potluck recipes!)
DIY Toppings Bar
Get a little fancy and set up a toppings bar with all sorts of options like guacamole, sour cream, and even some jalapenos for the daredevils out there. Go wild!
Kids & Walking Tacos
These are a hit with the kiddos, and they can even make their own. Plus, less cleanup for you!
Literally, the best part (aside from eating, of course), is how easy walking tacos are to clean up. Just toss the chip bag (or compost it if you use chips in compostable bags), and you’re back to enjoying the great outdoors.
Walking Tacos Recipe
Here is a printable version of how to make these walking tacos.
Walking Tacos Recipe
- 1 crock pot or skillet
- 1 lb cooked ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 bags Doritos or Frito-Lay corn chips snack size 1 oz bags
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- jalapeno slices
- Have all ingredients lined up and ready to be spooned into snack bags.
- Gently crush the bag of chips and then open the bag.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup taco meat into each bag and then individuals can add whichever toppings they prefer.
- Enjoy immediately.