Have you ever tried cooking with the HOTTEST oven available on Earth? (Yes, we are talking about the sun!) Check out this fun science experiment that kids of all ages will love. Use STEM skills to build and then use a solar oven to make s’mores!
I absolutely LOVE this activity for several reasons. First of all, it’s a great way to put all sorts of STEM skills (science, technology, engineering, math) into play while having a lot of fun. What is one of the most iconic camping treats of all time? S’MORES, of course! This seemingly awkward combination of ingredients (graham crackers, marshmallows, chocolate bars) melts together to create a delicious treat that delights any crowd.
We have posted several s’mores recipes over the years. Check them out:
- How to Make S’mores in the Air Fryer
- S’mores Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Must-Haves for Campsite S’mores Night
- 32 S’mores Recipes That Are Crazy Good
- Mini S’mores Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- S’mores Mason Jar Valentine Gift + Printable Tag
Using Solar Power to Cook
Solar cooking is always fun to try. Whether you are camping or not, using the sun’s heat to cook food is a tasty science experiment that is the perfect activity to try on a sunny day. You don’t need a whole lot of equipment to try this one. In fact, you can build your solar “oven” using a cardboard box!
The basic concept is to use a box for the oven part and then you will set up a reflector (we used aluminum foil) to reflect and intensify the sun’s heat onto the food. The heat melts (cooks) your ingredients in the box. No electricity or campfire required for these s’mores!
Note: This might sound obvious, but it’s worth stating anyway: this activity works best on a SUNNY day! Since you are using the sun’s rays as your sole heat source, save this one for a bright day. It will not work that well on an overcast or cloudy day.
S’mores Solar Oven Supplies
To make this oven and cook up some s’mores, you will need the following:
- 1 box with an attached flip top lid (pizza box, donut box, shoebox, small shipping box, etc.)
- Aluminum foil
- Plastic wrap
- Ruler or straight edge
- Bamboo skewer
For the s’mores:
How to Make a S’mores Solar Oven
Follow these steps to construct your oven!
1. Use a ruler or straight edge to mark the top of your box with lines for cutting a window. Leave enough space along each box edge to attach your plastic wrap.
2. Cut the lid along your lines on three sides to create a flap in the lid. Fold the cut flap on the box lid back.
3. Line the inside of the box with aluminum foil. Take another piece of aluminum foil and tape it to the underside of the cut flap. This is the spot that will reflect sunlight into your box!
4. Tape a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the lid.
5. Poke a small hole through the lid of the box to lean against the flap and hold the flap up.
6. Gather your good ingredients! Place graham crackers in a single layer on the box bottom. Layer with a piece of chocolate bar and then top each one with a marshmallow.
7. Close the box and place it outside, facing the sunlight, with the flap up. The chocolate will melt fairly quickly while the marshmallows will take a bit longer.
8. The treats are ready when the marshmallows become soft. At that point, press another graham cracker on top of each s’more. Enjoy immediately!
If you give this activity a try, let us know how it works out for you! Feel free to tag us if you post a picture of your solar s’mores oven on social media – we would love to see it!