What do you get when the hottest dessert craze meets the most popular camping treat? S’MORES HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS! Follow our step-by-step tutorial and create these delicious treats – no campfire required!
Unless you have been living under a rock during the last few months, you have likely heard about the latest dessert craze: hot chocolate bombs. These sweet treats are popping up in candy shops EVERYWHERE! We have found them everywhere from the local tea room to our favorite ice cream shop. Hot chocolate bombs are just a fun way to enjoy some hot chocolate. Basically the bomb itself is a chocolate shell that contains hot chocolate mix along with other candies like marshmallows and sprinkles.
How to Serve Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot chocolate bombs are very simple to enjoy. You can choose your preference – milk or water. We typically use milk for ours. Place a hot chocolate bomb in the bottom of an empty mug. Pour piping hot milk or water over the bomb. The hot liquid melts the chocolate shell, allowing the contents of the bomb to “explode” into the liquid. Give it all a good stir and enjoy!
More S’mores Treats We Have Shared
Before we dive into our recipe tutorial, check out some of the other s’mores themed posts that we have written:
- Air Fryer S’mores
- 32 S’mores Recipes That Are Crazy Good
- Must-Haves for Campsite S’mores Night
- Mini S’mores Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
- S’mores Mason Jar Valentine Gift + Printable Tag
S’mores Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
Supplies to have on hand:
S'mores Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- silicone mold
- 12 oz milk chocolate chips
- instant hot chocolate mix (1-2 TBSP per bomb)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 6 cups hot milk (for actually using the bombs)
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 30 second intervals. Stir chips between each interval, until the chocolate has melted completely.
- Spread a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all of the molds are coated with chocolate. (Make sure the chocolate is nice and thick all the way up the mold, otherwise it will break or crumble when it's time to seal the bombs.)
- Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
- Allow the chocolate in the molds to set and harden completely (approximately 3-4 hours). This process can be sped up by placing the mold in the refrigerator.
- Once the chocolate has set, remove each chocolate piece from the mold and lay half of the pieces on your work surface to be filled.
- Add some instant hot chocolate to half of the pieces (approx 1-2 TBSP to each half).
- Top the mix with marshmallows.
- Reheat the semi-sweet chocolate at 15 second intervals until melted.
- Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and press lightly into place. Use your finger to smooth the melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all of the chocolate bombs are sealed.
- Place a small amount of melted chocolate on top of each bomb and place three marshmallows on the melted chocolate. Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the top of the marshmallows and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top.
- Allow the hot chocolate bombs to set before using (about an hour).
- TO ENJOY THE HOT CHOCOLATE BOMBS: Place a bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. Once the chocolate has melted completely, stir all of the mug's contents to combine. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these delicious s’mores hot chocolate bombs! They are portable and easy to store (as long as you keep them in a cool environment!). If you’d like to enjoy these while camping, you could definitely make them at home and bring them along for the trip!
If you decide to give these a try, let us know how they turned out for you! If you post a picture on social media, feel free to tag us! We’d love to see your creation!