RV Hack: Convert Space Under Bed to Easily Accessible Storage
Have some space to spare under the master bed in your RV? Maximize it as easily accessible storage with this handy RV hack!
We have a really awesome (and hopefully super handy) RV hack for you today. We are coming up on the 3rd anniversary of the day we purchased our camper. (Which I find incredibly hard to believe… UNTIL I started to think about all of the trips we have taken with it!) We purchased our camper at an RV Expo and I still remember some of the features that originally sold us on our model. We loved the open floorplan. I personally loved the 2nd entrance door in the bathroom – PERFECT for nights around the campfire when you don’t want to wake up the kids just to get to the bathroom.
One thing that we loved immediately was all of the storage space in our camper. Plenty of cabinets and then the crowning jewel – a large open space under the front bedroom bed. Such a big space! Before we left on our road trip to Yellowstone, we decided to use the under-bed storage space as our pantry for dry goods and bottled water.
There was just one problem: this space was terribly cumbersome to reach. You almost needed two people to retrieve items from the storage area. One person needed to hold the mattress up while the other person grabbed the goods from the space.
Check out this handy RV hack to install a simple prop rod under your mattress. This hack makes the storage space under the bed much more accessible! (p.s. Make sure you take a look at how easy it was to upgrade our RV mattress. As you can see from the pictures in this post, our mattress is thicker than the standard-issue RV mattress. It is a memory foam mattress and nights on the road are as comfy as our bed at home!)
RV Under Bed Storage Hack Supplies
How to Hack this Storage Space
1. Head to your local big box store and buy a set of closet rod supports and a ¾” Maple Dowel. Make sure you choose a good hardwood dowel for support. Don’t get a cheap rod or it could collapse under the weight of your mattress.
2. Have someone hold the storage lid open. Measure the length of the storage area to get a measurement for the dowel length (so it will fit for storage).
3. Cut the dowel to length.
4. Have someone hold the storage lid open while you install the rod support on the deck side. Leave enough space for the dowel to store next to it. If it is a notched rod support, be sure to install the high end toward the front of the storage bin.
5. Insert the dowel in the rod holder and lower the lid down to the other side of the dowel. Mark the location for the 2nd rod holder.
6. Install the 2nd rod holder, be sure the screws don’t go through the plywood or they could potentially damage the mattress or could injure someone. IF notched type, install the larger side facing up for additional support.
7. Check to be sure dowel holds steady before relying on it for full support. You can chamfer the end of the dowel to match the angles of the deck and lid for a more secure fit if desired.
Other posts you might enjoy…