Calling all campers! Check out this adorable handprint campfire paper craft tutorial! Not only are these traced paper handprint campfires a great decoration, they also make a wonderful keepsake. Follow the step by step directions below to make your own campfire paper crafts!
Camping Crafts for Kids
I am so excited to add this fun DIY to the blog today! This handprint campfire paper craft is perfect for kids AND adults. It would work great for any outdoor, wilderness, camping themed lesson you might be teaching. These campfires would look amazing on a school bulletin board. They would also be perfect for an art activity or kid craft idea during summer camp!
Since the campfires use the crafter’s own handprints as the campfire “flames,” this DIY also turns into a sweet keepsake, preserving those handprints forever! (I’m a total sucker for anything that has my child’s hand – prints, outlines, etc. Handprint art is the BEST!)
The list of craft supplies is pretty minimal, which is always nice and convenient.
Ready to get started? Let’s go!
Handprint Campfire Supplies
I love that this craft uses minimal supplies, and they are COMMON supplies. So you might already have them lying around the house!
Gather up the following materials to make this craft:
- Construction paper (red, orange, yellow)
- Cardstock paper
- (4) Popsicle sticks
- Double-sided tape
- Black pen or marker (for example, an extra fine point Sharpie)
Campfire Paper Craft Tutorial
Follow these step by step directions to make your own construction paper handprint campfire:
1. The first step is to create templates/backing for your paper handprints! Lay out the cardstock and trace 3 hands. You can trace the same hand 3 times. Or maybe you’d like to use your left AND right hand… or perhaps you want to combine different people’s handprints into one campfire. This is completely up to you! But trace 3 hands on the cardstock.
2. Cut the hands that you just traced out and grab your glue. Glue the cardstock hands onto the construction paper. You will want a cardstock hand on each of the following colors: red, yellow, orange.
3. Cut out the hand prints. Now you have 3 different colored hands and they are fairly sturdy thanks to the white cardstock backing.
4. Take your popsicle sticks and cut 2 of them in half.
5. Use the black pen or marker and draw lines on the front of each popsicle stick half to mimic wood grain on a tree.
6. Use the double-sided tape to attach all of the pieces together. First overlap the handprints to achieve a fire flame look. Then tape the popsicle sticks to the back of the handprints, spreading them out to look like the base of a campfire.
I just LOVE how this campfire handprint craft turned out! They would work great as a wall decoration (or on a school bulletin board like I mentioned above!). You could also stick a magnet on the back and hang it up on a refrigerator or other magnetic surface.
This handprint campfire craft is a great activity for kids of all ages. It is an easy way to add some camping fun to any old day.
Make sure you take a look at our other DIY projects for more camping-inspired fun. I will be adding more art projects in the weeks to come.
Let us know if you end up giving this campfire craft a try! We would love to hear how it turned out for you! If you post a picture of it on social media, please feel free to tag us. We love seeing our crafts “in action!”