The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is often referred to as “God’s Country” by locals and visitors alike, and when you witness it for the first time, you can easily see why. It’s home to a number of beautiful state and national forests, a national lakeshore, three great lakes, and too many outdoor attractions to count.
Some of the popular activities to do in the Upper Peninsula (UP) area of Michigan include hiking, biking, boating, and hunting. There are also several campgrounds that you won’t want to miss out on, including ones that have amazing views. Here’s more on some of the fun places to visit, eat, and do while you’re visiting the UP.
Typical UP Weather
Upper Peninsula camping officially kicks off in early to mid-April depending on what campground you’re hoping to stay at. The weather is still rather cool at this time, but by early to mid-May the average temperature is much more comfortable. June, July, and August are the hottest months there, but camping is still a popular activity during those months. One big deterrent during the warmer months: BUGS. Bugs can be a problem during the late spring and summer months so bring plenty of mosquito spray.
The fall season is arguably one of the best times of the year for camping in the Upper Peninsula. With cooler nighttime temperatures and still relatively warm weather throughout the day, it is such a pleasant time to get out and explore. You also won’t have to worry about flies or mosquitos being an issue like you do during the summer months, as most of them have disappeared. The autumn foliage in the UP puts on a dazzling display of colors, especially the last two weeks of September and the first two weeks in October.
Popular Campgrounds in the UP
- Manistique Lakeshore Campground (Manistique)
- Munising Tourist Park Campground (Munising)
- Bay Furnace Campground (Christmas)
- Porcupine Mountains Union Bay Campground (Silver City)
- Otter Lake Campground (Munising)
- Northland Outfitters (Germfask)
- Twelvemile Beach Campground (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore)
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park Campground (Paradise)
- Straits State Park (St. Ignace)
- Clear Lake Campground (Drafter)
Popular Restaurants in the UP
- Stucko’s (Marquette)
- Muldoon’s Pasties and Gifts (Munising)
- Cap’n ron’s fish and chips (Munising)
- Fitzgerald’s Restaurant (Eagle River)
- Ambassador Restaurant (Houghnot)
- Sherpa Shack (Grand Marais)
- Lake Superior Brewing Company (Grand Marais)
- Eh! Burger (Munising)
- Grand Marais Tavern (Grand Marais)
- Keweenaw Brewing Co. (Houghnot)
Popular Attractions in the UP
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (Munising)
- Miners Castle Rock (Munising)
- Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park (Silver City)
- Soo Locks (Sault Ste Marie)
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park (Paradise)
- Kitch-Iti-Kipi (Palms Book State Park)
- Chapel Rock and Beach (Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore)
- Arch Rock (Mackinac Island)
- Grand Island (Munising)
- Mackinac Bridge (St. Ignace)
If your family lives anywhere in the midwest and is looking for their next outdoor adventure, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is an incredible place to visit. The waterfalls, rock formations, and epic scenery are truly something special, and if you didn’t know any better, you wouldn’t believe that you were still in the state of Michigan.
For those of you that are well-acquainted with the UP, what are some other great places to visit, eat, or do? Drop us a comment and tell us about it!
Other Camping Guides to Checkout!
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Lancaster, PA
- Printing Camping Journal and Campground Log
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Gatlinburg, TN
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Myrtle Beach, SC
- Wisconsin Dells Camping Guide
- Savannah, GA Camping Guide
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Tampa, FL
- Mesa, Arizona Camping Guide
- Ventura, California Camping Guide
PIN THIS POST TO PINTEREST!