Check out our Lancaster, PA camping guide for some great suggestions for where to stay, eat and play during your trip!
Nestled into the rolling farmland of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Lancaster is a popular destination for tourists every year. The heart of “Amish” country, many visitors enjoy taking in the sites and foods of this unique group. If you are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life and slow down for a few days, Lancaster might be a great destination for you. We have put together some of our favorite things to do, see, eat and more in this Lancaster, PA camping guide.
Typical Lancaster, PA Weather
The most popular time to visit (and camp in) Lancaster, PA is definitely summer. This region experiences all four seasons, and summer typically sees less precipitation than Spring. Summer days are often hot and humid (typical temps ranging in the mid 80s to low 90s Fahrenheit). Some afternoons are met with a quick moving thunderstorm that dumps some rain and leaves the evening feeling a bit cooler.
Spring is a beautiful time to visit, with trees and plants and flowers of every variety blooming. It can often be rainy, muddy, and sometimes, even cold.
Fall is actually our favorite time to camp in Lancaster. The heat and the humidity of the summer have been replaced by crisp mornings and warm afternoons. Many campgrounds are open through early November, though some area attractions might already be closed for the summer.
Winter is beautiful in Lancaster, especially if there is snow on the ground. However the temperatures can be brutally cold and most campgrounds are closed until mid-Spring.
Popular Campgrounds in and near Lancaster, PA
- Lake-in-Wood Campground (Narvon, PA)
- Old Mill Stream Campground (Lancaster, PA) Located adjacent to Dutch Wonderland Amusement Park!
- Yogi Bear’s Jelly-Stone Camp-Resort (Quarryville, PA)
- Hershey KOA (Elizabethtown, PA)
- Mill Bridge Camp Resort (Ronks, PA)
- Pinch Pond Family Campground (Manheim, PA)
- White Oak Campground (Quarryville, PA)
- Red Run Campground (New Holland, PA)
- The Loose Caboose Campground (Kinzers, PA)
- Country Acres Campground (Gordonville, PA)
Popular Restaurants in and near Lancaster, PA
- Plain and Fancy (Bird-in-Hand, PA)
- Shady Maple Smorgasbord (East Earl, PA)
- Good ‘N Plenty (Smoketown, PA)
- Hershey Farm (Ronks, PA)
- Lancaster Brewing Company (Lancaster, PA)
- On Orange (Lancaster, PA)
- John J. Jeffries (Lancaster, PA)
- LUCA (Lancaster, PA)
- The Log Cabin (Leola, PA)
- Oregon Dairy (Lititz, PA)
Popular Attractions in and near Lancaster, PA
- Kitchen Kettle Village (Intercourse, PA)
- The Amish Village (Ronks, PA)
- Strasburg Railroad (Ronks, PA)
- Cherry Crest Adventure Farm (Ronks, PA)
- Choo Choo Barn (Strasburg, PA)
- Dutch Wonderland Family Amusement Park (Lancaster, PA)
- Sight and Sound Theatre (Ronks, PA)
- Echo Dell Indian Echo Caverns (Hummelstown, PA)
- Lancaster Science Factory (Lancaster, PA)
- Turkey Hill Experience (Columbia, PA)
Have you visited and/or camped in or around Lancaster, PA before? What were your trip highlights? Drop us a comment below and tell us about your absolute do-not-miss spots!