Thinking about taking the family on a camping trip somewhere down in Florida soon? This is the perfect camping destination for you. Down in Clearwater, Florida, you will come across fabulous beaches for you to kick back and relax on, as well as plenty of land and water activities to keep every type of enthusiast entertained.
Clearwater is home to some incredible parks where you’ll want to camp underneath the stars. Be sure to come hungry. There are also plenty of good food options. Let’s dive into all of these fun things to do when camping in Clearwater, Florida.
Typical Clearwater Weather
Clearwater, Florida is a coastal city that’s located just west of Tampa, along the Gulf of Mexico. Camping is available throughout the year there, but you need to know a few things before you plan your visit.
- The spring (March-May) and autumn seasons (September-October) are arguably the best times to go camping in the area, with pleasant sunny and warm temperatures.
- Even during the winter months (November-February), it’s still great camping weather, with temperatures that average to about 60 degrees during the day and hardly ever dropping below 40 degrees at night.
- The summer months (June-August) leading into the fall can be another story. Temperatures are typically in the 80’s and 90’s most days, but it’s the humidity and rainy season that you have to look out for.
It’s not uncommon for afternoon showers to come in out of nowhere most days between the months of June and August, but they usually clear out fairly quick. Hurricane season is another factor that you have to keep in mind, which runs from June until the beginning of November.
Popular Campgrounds in and Near Clearwater, Florida
- Fort De Soto Park (Tierra Verde)
- Caladesi Island State Park (Dunedin)
- Shell Key Preserve (St. Pete Beach)
- Anclote Key Preserve State Park (Dunedin)
- Bay Bayou RV Resort (Tama)
- St. Petersburg/Madeira Beach KOA (Petersburg)
- Bickley RV Park (Seminole)
- Dunedin RV Resort (Dunedin)
- Yankee Traveler RV Park (Tarpon Springs)
- Traveler World RV Park (Clearwater)
Popular Restaurants in and Near Clearwater, Florida
- Crabby’s Beachwalk Bar & Grill (Clearwater)
- Badfins Brew + Grill (Clearwater)
- Island Way Grill (Clearwater)
- The Salty Crab Bar & Grill North Beach (Clearwater)
- Bait House (Clearwater)
- Poppa’s BBQ (Clearwater)
- Frenchy’s Rockaway Grill (Clearwater)
- Sandbar Restaurant & Bar (Anna Maria Island)
- Cesare’s (Clearwater)
- Beach Shanty Cafe (Clearwater)
Popular Attractions in and Near Clearwater, Florida
- Clearwater Beach (Clearwater)
- John Bonner Nature Park (Largo)
- Encounters with Dolphins (Clearwater)
- Largo Central Park (Largo)
- Caladesi Island State Park (Clearwater)
- Schooner Clearwater (Clearwater)
- Pinellas Trail (Dunedin)
- Sand Key (Clearwater)
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium (Clearwater)
- Florida Botanical Gardens (Largo)
- Baseball Spring Training (Clearwater)
It’s no wonder why people love camping in Clearwater, Florida. It has beautiful white sandy beaches to relax at, great food, plenty of wildlife-viewing opportunities, and more than enough entertainment to keep your family busy. If you’ve already been camping in this area before, where did you stay and how was your experience?
Other Camping Guides to Checkout!
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Lancaster, PA
- Printing Camping Journal and Campground Log
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Gatlinburg, TN
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Myrtle Beach, SC
- Wisconsin Dells Camping Guide
- Savannah, GA Camping Guide
- Fun Things to Do When Camping in Tampa, FL
- Mesa, Arizona Camping Guide
- Ventura, California Camping Guide
- Upper Peninsula, MI Camping Guide