We have a super fun and creative project that’ll bring a bit of the great outdoors right into your home. Whether you’re gearing up for your next camping adventure or just looking to add a splash of color to your windows, this DIY Camping Lantern Suncatcher craft is perfect for kids and adults alike. Plus, we’ve got a free template to make this craft a breeze. Ready to get started?
Camping Crafts for Kids
I’m so happy to add this craft to the blog today! Make sure you take a look at our collection of camping themed crafts while you’re here!
This craft would make a pretty decoration for your home or RV windows. It would also be a great school craft that would tie in to any units or lessons on camping, nature, historical tools, etc.
Lantern Suncatcher Craft Supplies
Materials You’ll Need:
- Parchment paper
- Black marker
- Tissue paper in a variety of colors
- Brown construction paper
- Our printable template (optional)
You can grab our printable template right here. Simply enter your email address in the box and opt-in to receive our free newsletter. Check your inbox for this printable, which you will receive as a subscriber bonus. NOTE: This file is for PERSONAL USE ONLY. You may NOT sell the digital file or sell the printed work. You may NOT redistribute the digital file or printed work.
How to Make a Lantern
Let’s Craft Our Lanterns!
- Prepare Your Template: First things first, snag the free lantern template from the link provided above. Print it out and cut along the lines. You’ll find pieces for the top and bottom of your lantern, which you’ll trace onto the brown construction paper, and a middle section for the parchment paper. This will be the heart of your suncatcher, so make sure you cut these pieces out carefully.
- Colorful Tissue Squares: Grab your tissue paper and cut it into small squares. These will act as the colorful “light” of your lantern. Kids will love choosing the colors and arranging them on the parchment paper. It’s like a mini art project within a craft!
- Assemble Your Lantern: Now for the fun part – putting it all together. Start by attaching your tissue paper squares to the parchment paper section. A dab of glue will do the trick! Then, take your brown paper top and bottom pieces and glue them to either end of your parchment paper. It’s starting to look like a lantern already!
- Add the Finishing Touches: With your black marker, trace the outlines of the lantern to give it definition and that classic lantern look. This step really makes your suncatcher pop and brings the whole craft together.
Let the Sun Shine In!
After the glue has dried completely, hang the finished camping lantern suncatchers in a sunny window and watch as it captures the sunlight, filling your room with colorful hues. This craft is not only a fun activity for a rainy afternoon but also a wonderful way to decorate your space with a personal touch.
Whether you’re a seasoned camper or a crafting novice, this DIY project is sure to brighten your day. So gather your materials and let your creativity shine with this adorable camping lantern suncatcher.
Don’t forget to check out the link above for the free template to make your crafting experience even smoother. And as always, we love seeing your creations, so feel free to share your finished lanterns with us.